Essential Job Duties
- Deliver high quality direct instruction to students in Pre-K through grade 12 in alignment with Big Thought’s instructional framework of Six Dimensions of Quality, Social Emotional Learning, and project-based learning
- Consult and collaborate with educational coaches on aesthetic of Big Thought teaching practices as requested
- Perform administrative responsibilities, such as submission of written lesson plans, assessments, and teaching schedules
- Plan and implement programs in collaboration with Big Thought staff
- Work in partnership with the Site Coordinator and/or Program Manager
- Submit invoices for payment in a timely and accurate manner, according to Big Thought’s payment process
- Perform other duties as needed
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to working with young people, especially those in diverse communities and neighborhoods across the DFW area
- Utilize basic classroom management skills
- Manage supplies, including placing orders as requested
- Big Thought believes that modeling is a useful tool to teach youth new skills in social situations. All individuals working with our organization are expected to observe all rules, regulations, policies, uniform and dress code of Big Thought and Dallas ISD. There may be occasion to also adhere to specific directives from site management, especially as they pertain to the safety and security of students.
- Follow program attendance policy as assigned by the Program Manager
- Attend team meetings for input on best practices
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the Program Manager
- Attend and participate in professional development opportunities offered by Big Thought
- Demonstrate commitment to implementing Big Thought instructional strategies
- Demonstrated expertise working as a professional/experienced artist as specified by one’s craft, or as a practicing instructor
- Flexibility to work a varying schedule. Hours of work may require after school hours as well as occasional evenings and weekends. Summer hours may vary by program/site.
- Willingness to travel to Big Thought sites in the DFW area
- Strong oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to facilitate group decision making; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; strong attention to detail
- Consent to a background check via fingerprinting and FC Background, which is required based on DISD policy. Clearances are conducted and renewed annually.
- Excellent practical experience in the discipline being taught; professional experience preferred
- Ability to provide two professional references and a sample lesson plan in the discipline of specialization
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
- Ability to read/respond to e-mails and text messages in a timely manner
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Big Thought equips youth in marginalized communities to imagine and create their best lives and world. The secret sauce that makes our work uniquely effective is the powerful combination of our social and emotional focus, experiential learning, community-centered partnerships, equity lens and future focus.
Throughout our 30+ year history of innovation, Big Thought has become a national model in arts education, out of school time systems, summer learning and juvenile justice intervention. Now we’re one of six community partnerships in the U.S. helping scale national best practices in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL).
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)